fab five freddy
..was a jerk (maybe).
i'm a day late, but then again, i'm always late to everything...
1. paper airplanes - so simple, yet so much enjoyment. for at least 2-3 minutes. and that's something.
Fly Robin Fly
2. Henry VIII - so much better than Henry VII, who was a jerk (maybe)...plus herman's hermits wrote an annoying song about him.
3. "God Less America" - Great title for a record, containing some extremely fucked up and depressing countryish story-songs from the 50s and 60s. You know, average stuff like a guy who finds his wife cheating with another man, shoots the guy, and the bullet goes clean through and kills his wife too. he calls the cops himself and tells them they'll find him waiting at the bar, having one last drink.
and then there's Grandpa Joe's "Drunk Driver," one of the saddest songs I've ever heard. or "Too Many Pills," which is self-explanatory.
of course, you haven't lived until you've heard "Please don't go topless mother" sung by this earnest 8-year-old kid, troy hess. very bizarre.
This is the perfect soundtrack for a coroner.
4. My roommate's Mork & Mindy children's Tee-shirt, featuring Mork emerging from his egg spaceship and saying "shazzbot!" Even with the giant hole in the front of it and it being much too small for him, he still pulls it off. fucker.
5. Plastikman "Closer" - some deep personal shit going on there. quite dark, sparse and atmospheric. i can appreciate someone who's so addicted to manipulating sound. it's all in the details.