Fab Five Friday #5
+"No Pressure/Back On Schedule� Edition
1. Clear Horizon "Clear Horizon" (Kranky, out 11.18) - Damn, I love white noise. i just love to be ensconced in crackly sounds that lull me into a trance-like state. The press release says �Clear Horizon is the culmination of two years of tape-trading across the Atlantic between Jessica Bailiff and David Pierce.� I say, think of a stripped-down My Bloody Valentine, with serious white noise guitar tonal immersion offset by ghostly vocals and threaded acoustic strings. Kinda like being underwater when you're obviously not...or are you?
2. Sugarplum Fairies (starfish) �Introspective Raincoat Student Music� � an apt title for an album that manages to be both fresh and familiar at the same time. I love Silvia Rider�s whispery yet biting vocals and imaginative lyrics, plus the dreamy slide guitar-playing and odd arrangements. Some of the best tracks on the album are available for free download via amazon (I�m sure you can find it).
3. Clem Snide "A Beautiful EP" (spinart) - they do a cover of Christina Aguilera's "beautiful,� which manages to be both snide and sincere at the same time. Another track, "Mike Kalinsky" is about a kid who has asthma, always misses school but still does better on tests than everyone else. Nearly every song on here makes me giggle. And it�s hard to be both consistently funny and still write good songs.
4. Mando Diao "Bring 'em In" (Mute) � Garage rock from Sweden that�s really solid. I especially like the production, stripped down and all fuzzy. It�s got a very go-go '60s vibe but still manages to rock out at the same time.
- The State of California sent me my tax return the other day. Now I can buy that babushka I�ve always wanted.
- Sleep. Me, the notorious non-sleeper (it takes up too much of my time) has been hitting the sack by 10 p.m. almost every night this week and getting up by 7 a.m. It may have something to do with my super-hectic October, in which I averaged about 2 hours a night.
- The cold/drizzly/cloudy weather. Now it truly feels like autumn. I just love the crispy element of the air this time of year. And the best part is, no worries about snow!
-1. The Tropic of Capricorn. It sucks. The Tropic Of Cancer is so much better.
(BONUS - WEB EXCLUSIVE)-2. Shaving my pubic hair. OK, I�ve officially learned my lesson. No more �What if I did this?� thoughts in the shower. Now I know why women get theirs waxed or use Nair. That shit itches something fierce.
one love, one love, accept most